Watch a brief history slide show.
Pitt was in its 22nd football season when the first Pitt Band appeared at Forbes Field on October 14, 1911, at the Pitt-Ohio Northern game.
The band was organized by Dr. Earl Miller and James G. Oliver with Carl Sabad as the student leader and Don Kirk as the manager.
The eight-man contingent wore "uniforms" of scarlet felt caps with blue tassels and played seven instruments borrowed from Becker's Music Store.
Funds from students, alumni and friends of the University were given to buy the caps and tassels.
In 1912 E.V. Babcock, former mayor of Pittsburgh and well known industrialist, bought the first real uniforms, including mackinaws as protection against bad weather.
DVD Archive Sale
Since the Pitt Band Video Archives were first offered in the fall of
2008, our alumni have been very supportive. We are very appreciative of
all the donations we have received. These donations have enabled us to
make new additions to our archive list. In recent months we have
utilized some donations to digitally transfer additional materials from
reel to reel audio tapes and film with sound. These are the first sound
film recordings added to the list of available archives. The most
notable of the new additions is a video with sound of the halftime from
the 1964 Pitt vs. UCLA game,
which was broadcast in its entirety live on NBC.
Audio CD recordings are now available. These include CDs of the 1968
and 1969 Stadium Review Concerts, plus an audio recording of a
testimonial dinner held in honor of Robert L. Ace Arthur in March of
Download the complete list of available DVDs and DVD order form